Infographics are valuable because they are an attention-grabbing and visually appealing way to present information. If done well, infographics can help present complex information in a comprehensible way.
Infographics can be used to communicate a specific message, persuade a demographic or target audience, analyze data in a aesthetically appealing way, or help present a mass amount of information.
Creating an awesome and useful infographic can often times be a challenge. Where do you begin? How do you create one? Where do you gather information?
Well, I’m here to help you out.
Here are my tips for creating an effective infographic:
- Decide what type of infographic you want to make based on the message you’re trying to send
- What are you trying to accomplish? Who are you trying to reach? What are you trying to say?
- Choose a topic
- What story are you trying to tell? Choose a clear message and begin collecting data to support your message.
- Use relevant data and reputable sources
- Be sure to fact-check and credit your sources!
- Pre-design your infographic
- Draw it out. Sometimes it helps to get your ideas down on paper to help you visualize your plan.
- Simplify, simplify, simplify
- Limit your fonts, constrict your color palette and establish a flow between thoughts.
- Design your infographic
- Use a clear, concise design with simple graphics and data visualization that clearly illustrates your message.
- If you are not savvy with InDesign, check out Piktochart for easy-to-use templates.
Now you know how to create an effective infographic!